Tuesday, April 13, 2010

DIY Sewing Machine Cover

In a previous post (Sewing Cabinet Makeover), I promised that I would provide instructions for the sewing machine cover. Today I'm going to fulfill that promise.

Sewing supplies that you'll need:
~buttons
~ribbon
~1/2 yard fabric
~1/2 yard lining fabric
~sewing thread
~iron
~sewing pins
~rotary cutter and mat or scissor

Instructions:

Begin by taking the measurements of your sewing machine...
measure the length....

...the height and the width of your machine.



My measurements were 14 " long X 7 "wide X 11" high . Now that you have your measurements add 1/2" on each side for seam allowance.

My ending measurements were...
15" wide X 8" high for front and back pieces....(cutting 2)
8" wide X 12 " high for side pieces (cutting 2)
8' wide X 15 " long for top piece (cutting 1)
Repeating the same measurements for the lining.


Begin sewing the pieces together..... sewing front and back pieces to the side piece, finishing by adding the top piece..

repeating this step with the lining ...

...finish by sewing the lining and cover together at the bottom (right sides together) leaving a small opening to turn the fabric right side out. Stitch the opening shut after turning the right side out...


...add your finishing touches of ribbon and buttons.



Have a great day and enjoy your sewing project.

Joy

I'm linking this post to

DIY @ A Soft Place to Land

Be Inspired @ Room to Inspire

Somewhat Simple Strut your stuff

The Shabby Chic Cottage Transformation Thursday
Tools are for Women Too

Fingerprints on the Fridge ~ Creative Chick Parade



Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special




5 comments:

  1. I just finally got my fist sewing machine. Now, I don't need a cover for it quite yet (it is still in the closet) but now I know how to make one when I do! Thanks for linking up to Be Inspired today.

    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your instructions! I have a plastic cover and I've been wanting to make my own, now I can! Going to check out the rest of your blog now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a beautiful cover for your sewing machine. I love the black and white. Thanks for linking this to my party. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joy. This turned out beautiful. I wouldn't mine seeing my machine so much if I had super cover like this. This really is so pretty. I read about you on Traci's from Beneath My Heart's blog. I'll be following your blog from now on.

    Hugs...Tracy :)

    P.S. Are the top sides of your cover rounded or is the cover completely square?

    ReplyDelete
  5. In answer to your question Tracy.

    The cover was cut square but I add a little bit of gathering on the top section...thus giving it a rounded look.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails