Saturday, February 26, 2011

DIY Key Artwork


Recently, while browsing at Restoration Hardware,
I saw this very cute Key Art which also came with a hefty
price tag of $199!
Then I saw them at Barnes & Noble for $129.

These prices aren't in my budget, so I started
watching for a frame
and key that I could use make my own.


I was inspired by a fellow blogging friend
who also likes key art, and designed her own version.

In the photo below you can see how
Fingerprints on the Fridge
made these pieces of art for her entry.


A few days ago, I posted about all my
great thrift store finds.

Do you remember the frame I purchased?




It's the perfect frame for the project @ $1.99 compared to $199!
Earlier I had gotten a purse at a
garage sale for .25 cents.
I didn't purchase the purse to use as a purse,
(it was grungy and an ugly green)
but rather for the little key that hung on the handle.

With my new frame and key in hand, I went to work on my key art.
First I placed a piece of cut to size
textured scrapbook paper
in the photo area.

I then hot glued the key onto the paper.

Simple and easy new key art created for a mere $2.24!


Here you can see it hanging.

I'm not sure if this is the place it will stay hanging yet,
but for now it has a new home.

I may paint the frame black also, but need to
buy some more spray paint.

What do you think...
should I keep the natural wood color or paint it black?



In my first blog post, I shared my office/craft room with you.
I also used keys as accent decor in this room.

Using a hook and ribbon I was able to display the
skeleton key from my grandparents old farmhouse.



(It's the larger key on the left.)




Keys are also displayed in the bottom half of this clock purchased at a garage sale for .50 cents.






Hope you enjoyed seeing my thrifty versions of
Key Art!


I'm linking this post to...
Tip Junkie handmade projects

3 comments:

  1. I love old keys like this! They are much harder to find in Canada though unfortunately! I hope some day I stumble across some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog and I love it! Wonderful ideas! I am starting the planning for redecorating my home and I am excited and nervous about doing it on a shoe string budget. Glad I found you! If you have a chance come visit my blog http://makingsnmusings.blogspot.com/
    Jillie

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails