Wednesday, November 12, 2014

ADDING SOFT AND COZY WINTER ITEMS

The cold winter weather has hit us the past few days. Our temperatures have dipped into the teens and we woke up to snow falling this morning.  I decided it was time to add some soft and cozy winter items to the living room.  I'm not moving out my fall decor just yet, but just adding a few winter touches.


I love the chunky cable knit pillows that Pottery Barn has.  The drawback to the Pottery Barn pillows is the price tag they come with  - $59.50, on sale for $45.   As you may know, a few DIY's have come up with their own version of these pillows using recycled sweaters. You can find many of the tutorials on Pinterest. Since I had an old sweater that would work perfect for this project, I decided to plunge in and make my own too.






Cable knit speaks - WINTER  to me, so I dug out an old sweater and made it into a pocket pillow.  A pocket pillow slipcover was the perfect choice for this pillow, as I used one of my spring/summer pillows as the pillow insert.  This kept the cost down for this pillow because I didn't have to buy an insert.  If you'd like to know how to make a pocket pillow, you can read my tutorial - Simple Pillows Anyone Can Make .  

This sweater originally had an open front with large brown buttons.  I decided to remove the large buttons and sew the front shut.  I then had a flat closed sweater to work with .  I used the bottom hem of the sweater to make the pocket on the back of the pillow.  This made it simple and I didn't even have to finish the opening edge.


While shopping at TJ Maxx recently, I came across the most soft and luxurious throw.  I've been wanting one of these for a while.  I had some birthday gift money left from this summer, so I decided to pamper myself and buy one.  I wish you could feel it, it is so soft and will be great to snuggle up in on the cold winter nights.



Now that I had a finished pillow and a throw, it was time to add the winter touches to the living room.

The cable knit pillow and soft throw add just the right texture and softness to the room.









A cozy cable knit sweater pillow along with the ultimate soft luxurious throw.....


...adds a touch of winter elements to the room.

This pillow was a fun DIY, that took only a small amount of time to make.  It was very budget friendly too, using items I already had.  Total cost for this pillow was under two dollars.  My sweater was a thrift store find from a few years ago and a spring pillow insert.  It's amazing what you can create using what you have.

All I need now is a cup of hot chocolate with a good book and snuggle in under the warm throw.

Have a great day!

***Joy***





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails