Wednesday, December 24, 2014

VINTAGE SLED DECORATED FOR CHRISTMAS

While getting ready for an outdoor 40th wedding anniversary party this summer, my sister ran across an old vintage sled.  It had been sitting outside in the elements behind the garden shed for years.  When her and her daughters found it, they all wanted it to decorate for Christmas.  My sister was not about to give this treasure away, at least not yet.

Fast forward to December ~ I received a phone call from my sister asking for my help in decorating her sled.  Of course, I said YES!  A chance to work on a fun diy project, while spending time with my sister.  

I also had visions for a sled decorated for Christmas.  It was one from my childhood, and the one our children used for many years.  I had it all ready to load onto our moving truck back with our move in 2012.  It was while standing there that our daughter (a children's photographer) spotted it.  I agreed that she could keep it in Washington to use as a photography prop.  My husband said we could enjoy it in her photos; and we've been doing just that.

Here it is with our sweat grand daughter sitting on it for a Christmas card photo shoot.



I know you're wondering about the sled we made over, but I couldn't resist sharing the photo with you.

Here it is ~
0ur DIY Christmas Sled



Here's a list of the items we used to create this sled:

sled
ribbon
evergreen branches
ornaments: drums and peace
wire 



Here's what we did:

We started out by placing different types of evergreen branches on the sled.  (Little secret ~ we hid a broken part of the sled.)




We secured the branches using green coated wire.


We then added the drum ornaments tying them on using the wire.

 On the top of the drums, we added a large bow made with this ribbon.  My sister spotted this at Hobby Lobby, and fell in love with it.


Sad to say....we really struggled trying to make the perfect bow.  Thanks to the help of a friend, we got our perfect bow.  Thanks Carrie!!!

We added streamers with ribbon as well.

Last we tied on the Peace ornament, placing it between the evergreen branches at the top of the sled.

This was a fun, quick and easy project.   Here's how it looks sitting on my deck.  Too bad I couldn't keep it.

  

I thought my deck looked a little lonely after the sled left, so added a few things of my own.

A table with a lantern and a few ornaments sits beside the door now.




Well, that's the last of my Christmas decor for this year.



I hope that you all have a 
wonderful Christmas!


****Joy@thrifty parsonage living****

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails